Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, commonly known as San Juan International Airport, is the main airport in Puerto Rico and the largest and busiest in the Caribbean. This modern airport welcomes visitors from about 50 countries around the world. “SJU” (airport code) is the Caribbean hub offering many connecting flights to other islands in the Caribbean, countries in Latin America, and beyond. Puerto Rico is the most easily accessible island on the Caribbean with no passport required for US citizens. Although known as the San Juan Airport, it is actually located in the neighboring tourist district of Isla Verde of the municipality of Carolina – just 8 miles east of Old San Juan. See the map below for its location. The airport is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Location: Isla Verde, Carolina, PR 00979 ⎜ Postal Address: #1 La Puntilla Street – Room 214, Old San Juan, PR 00901 ⎜
Tel: (787) 253-4540 ⎜ Port Code: 4913
Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport Codes
- IATA: SJU
- ICAO: TJSJ
- FAA LID: SJU
Vacation Destinations near Airport
Best Places to Stay near the San Juan Airport
Some of the best accommodations in the greater San Juan tourism area are found near and along the famous Isla Verde Beach, just a short 5-10 minute drive from SJU. Not only are they conveniently located near the airport, they’re also just a 15-minute taxi ride to historic Old San Juan as well. Choose from nice hotels to luxury resorts. You can see their locations and get more information on the map below.
Map Locations of the Best Hotels & Resorts near the San Juan Airport
Busiest US & International Routes
There are close to 600 weekly flights to the continental United States. There are various non-stop flights to major airports in Florida, Philadelphia, Washington D.C, New York’s JFK, Baltimore, Charlotte, Boston, Chicago’s ORD, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, among others.
Busiest US Routes
According to the United States Department of Transportation (as of Nov. 2017), the busiest USA routes from and to SJU are:
- Orlando, Florida
- New York–JFK, New York
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Miami, Florida
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Newark, New Jersey
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Charlotte, NC
- Chicago, IL
Popular International Routes
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Saint Thomas, US Virgin Islands
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Panama City, Panama
- St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
- Tortola, British Virgin Islands
- Philipsburg, Sint Maarten
- Santiago, Dominican Republic
- Bogotá, Colombia
- Madrid, Spain
- Toronto, Canada
- Frankfurt, Germany
Transportation to your Destination upon arrival
After you land at the airport, get ready to feel the warm Caribbean air and begin your Puerto Rico adventure.
- If you rented a car, most car rental offices are located just a few steps from the Arrival Level in the Parking Garage on the 1st Level.
- Taking a taxi to your destination: You may use the services of a Taxi Turistico, which have set rates to popular tourist districts and attractions. You’ll find booths at the Arrival Level terminals of the airport. See the taxi rates chart for more information.
Shops & Dining
At the airport travelers can enjoy shopping at a variety of duty free shops, apparel and souvenier shops. There is a nice variety of restaurants, cafes and convenience stores.
It is recommended that you arrive 2 hours prior to your flight if you’re traveling to the United States. International flights are recommended to arrive 3 hours prior to departure. Check in online to save a little time, use the check-in express machines or use the traditional check in / first class lines.
Entry Requirements to Puerto Rico
Lost & Found Information
Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm 787-791-0098 / 787-253-5637
Banco Popular at Terminal D
Car Rentals at Luis Muñoz Marín International
Car rental offices are located across the Arrival Level, in the Parking Garage on the 1st Level. We highly recommend you book you make your car rental reservation online ahead of time.
- Alamo Car Rental – 787-791-1805 – SJU Garage Parking
- Avis Car Rental – 787-253-5930 – SJU Garage Parking
- Budget Rental Car – Save up to 35% with Pay Now at Budget.com– 787-791-0600 – 1st Level of Garage Parking
- Charlie Car Rental – 787-728-2418 – Shuttle available – Isla Verde Avenue
- Enterprise Rent A Car – 787-253-3722 – SJU Garage Parking
- Hertz Rental Car– 787-791-0840 – SJU Garage Parking
- National Car Rental– 787-791-1805 – SJU Garage Parking
- Sixt Rental Car – 787-791-1991 – Shuttle available – 1 mile from airport
- Thrifty – 787-253-5930 – SJU Garage Parking
- U Save Car Rental – 787-253-4008 – Shuttle available
Parking at the San Juan International Airport and nearby
There’s a parking garage a short walking distance across from the airport terminals B and C. Rates are hourly, then a daily rate for each 24 hours. At the garage entry you will get a ticket. Keep it with you, because upon return, you will need to pay for your ticket at one of the payment machines located on the first and second levels of the building next to the elevators. After you pay, you will have 10 – 15 minutes (check the sign) to get to the exit gate before your paid ticket expires. If you need more time to get settled in the car (i.e. loading your luggage), go to your vehicle first, then drive by the payment machine to pay for your ticket and exit.
Tip: You may also want to consider using Estaciona Y Vuela, Park & Fly / Cruise long-term parking lot just south of the airport. Click on the map marker below for more information or visit www.estacionayvuelapr.com.