Lajas, a small town with so much to offer to visitors that love nature, fishing, sailing, and getting to know the real island. Located on the south west coast of Puerto Rico near the towns of San German and Guanica. A day trip to Lajas offers many opportunities for exploration. Drive through the countryside to see small rolling hills, rice and pineapple farms.
Head to La Parguera for delicious traditional treats such as empanillas, surrullitos and the freshest local seafood. Hire a tour guide to take you scuba diving, snorkeling, deep fishing, seeing the mangrove channels and jump into the clear waters of Caracoles and Mata La Gata Islands. At night La Parguera attracts locals to pubs with live music and lots of food.
Quick Facts about Lajas, Puerto Rico
- Barrios: Lajas has 12 barrios: Candelaria, Costa, La Plata, Lajas, Lajas Arriba, Llanos, Palmarejo, Parquera, Paris, Pueblo, Sababa Yeguas, Santa Rosa
- Coordinates: 18.0519° N, 67.0597° W
- Festivals / Annual Events in Lajas, Puerto Rico:
- Fiestas Patronales de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria (Patron’s Festival) – Celebrated every year during the month of February.
- Feria Agropecuaria – June
- Feria Agrícola de la Reserva del Valle – September
- Lola Rodriguez de Tio Festival – September
- Founded: 1883 by Teodoro Jácome Pagán.
Nuestro Lajas, pueblito querido. By Hernán Ortiz Noriega (Rola)Nuestro Lajas, pueblito querido En mi pecho tienes un altar, Orgulloso estoy de haber nacido En tus campos que no he de olvidar. Faro y luz serás de Puerto Rico Con tu Estación Experimental, Con el riego en tu Valle bendito, La Parguera que no hay otra igual. Yo te añoro en mi ausencia y suspiro Por tus piñas de fama mundial…. Y en mis noches de ensueño deliro con tus montes, tu valle y tu mar.
- Land Area: 197.6 sq km
- Location: Lajas is located on the west coast of Puerto Rico, known as Porta del Sol. Neighboring towns are Cabo Rojo (west), San German (north), and Guanica (East). Driving distance from San Juan is about 2 hours with traffic.
- Locals born in Lajas are known as: Lajeños
- Slogan: La Ciudad Cardenalicia y Los Tira Piedra
- Tourism Information Office:
- Physical Address: Calle Victoria #5
Lajas, P.R. 00667
- Postal Address: P.O. Box 910, Lajas, P.R. 00667-0910
- Fax: (787) 899-1450 / 899-1550 – 899-7000
- Physical Address: Calle Victoria #5
- Website: Official website
- Zip Code: 00667
Attractions, Points of Interest & Things to Do in Lajas, Puerto Rico
Caracoles is known for its shallow and clear water, excellent for swimming and snorkeling, however, there is no place to sit or stand, making it a popular spot for boaters and water taxi stops. Best time to visit is during winter months through early spring on weekdays, with the least crowds. More about Caracoles Cay.
Houses on the Water
One of the unique characteristics of Lajas is found along the coast of La Parguera, small colorful homes that were built during the mid 1900’s still remain. Many are still owned by modest families and some were sold to professionals that escape to Porta del Sol to have a break from the city. Take a water taxi to admire them.
A really fun concept, a man made pool right on the Caribbean Sea. The shores of Lajas are framed by mangroves, so officially there are no beaches in Lajas, the waters are gorgeous, so the concept of a pool was created and it is a must visit. More about Playita Rosada in Lajas, Puerto Rico.
Laguna Cartagena is a nature reserve, one of the few fresh water lagoons in Puerto Rico. Although not the body of water that it once was, US Fish & Wildlife is has taken on the challenge to improve the lagoon to create a better habitat for migratory and aquatic birds. Visit for a nice hike and birdwatching. Download brochure.
Tours, Charters & Services for the Visitor
There are various friendly tour operators ready to take you for a day adventure to the pretty offshore little islands of Lajas. Tours are inexpensive, just $5 – $10 per person round trip, bring cash. The scenic boat ride is about a 10 minutes. We recommend you book a tour in advance or you may just show up to La Parguera to book it, you will see tour guides walking around offering their services.
Boat rentals are also available giving you freedom to see the islands at your own pace and go “island hopping” at La Parguera Nature Reserve. You will have various options to get there; you may rent a motor boat, share a boat taxi ride or you can go on an eco guided kayak tour.
- Johnny’s Boats – Phone # (787) 460-8922 or (787) 299-2212
- Torres Boats – Phone # (787) 396-2089
- Cancel Boats – Phone # (787) 899-5891
- Aleli Tours – Phone # (787) 899-6086 or (787) 390-6086 Kayak rentals and kayak tours
- Excurions EcoBoriken – Phone # (787) 951-0683 – Kayak Tours