Home to El Yunque, magical bioluminescent bays, offshore treasures & gateway to Vieques & Culebra
The east region of Puerto Rico offers extraordinary natural attractions both inland and on the turquoise colored sea. The east coast topography is very diverse with a magical tropical rainforest, beach coves, dramatic cliffs, calm bays, mangrove forests, wetlands, offshore cays and nature reserves.
The east region houses the largest marina in the Caribbean, boat enthusiasts love this region for its nearby offshore islands and keys which are often featured on popular travel magazines and Hollywood movies. Porta Antillas is the home to the tropical lush forest of El Yunque, the only rainforest under the United States flag, an awe inspiring place that ought to be in every adventurer’s bucket list. Deep sea fishing, sailing, scuba diving, snorkeling and kayaking are popular activities in Porta Antillas, great tour operators and charters are available to give you unforgettable experiences. At night get ready to kayak over magical of the bioluminescent bay at Cabezas de San Juan Nature Reserve.
The east region has palm fringed public beaches and offshore little postcard perfect islands featured on Hollywood movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean. Hop on the ferry and go for a fun day adventure or divide up your vacation to explore the offshore islands of Vieques and Culebra and get a glimpse of Puerto Rico the way it used to be 60 years ago with uncrowded virgin beaches where there are no traffic lights.
When it comes to accommodations, the east coast offers some of the best and most luxurious resorts in Puerto Rico. Golf, spas, water sports, nightclubs and great entertainment right inside the resort properties. You can also choose from many condominiums available as vacation rentals.
Getting to the Eastern Coast of Puerto Rico
- The most best and most convenient option is flying to the San Juan Airport, offering the most daily flight and choice of airlines (about 45 minutes away).
- Driving from San Juan: Driving to the east coast hotels and attractions is easy. There are major highways from San Juan to the east. Google Maps App on your phone has pretty good directions. During traffic, we suggest you give yourself at least 30 minutes extra to get to places.
More about the East Coast of Puerto Rico
- Attractions in the east coast of Puerto Rico
- Beaches on the east coast of Puerto Rico
- Hotels & Resorts on the east coast of Puerto Rico