Cabo Rojo is a municipality of Puerto Rico situated on the south west corner of the island; about 1.45 minutes from the capital city of San Juan. Ask any Puerto Rican about Cabo Rojo and they’ll most likely tell you that this beach town is a favorite family vacation destination. Cabo Rojo offers great beaches, affordable family owned restaurants with fresh seafood served daily, golf, excellent tarpon and deep sea fishing, a natural reserve with educational attractions for the whole family, and scenic hiking / bicycling trails.
Due to its large wildlife reserve many areas are still green and free of development, giving residents and visitors various places to enjoy fun outdoor activities while connecting with nature. Cabo Rojo is one of the preferred locations to purchase an investment / vacation home due to reasonable real estate prices, low crime, its beaches, island location and services. Caborrojeños (locals) are warm, friendly, and helpful, you’ll feel right at home here.
The “Pueblo of Cabo Rojo” (center town) is a colorful, lively and inviting place that has retained a very traditional feel. At the center of the town you can visit the active plaza (square), where friends gather to play dominoes, have a cup of coffee, and have dinner al fresco to the sounds of salsa, old ballads and jazz.
Quick Facts about Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
- The original name of Cabo Rojo was Los Cabos Rojos, Tierras de Los Morillos.
- Cabo Rojo is known as “El Pueblo de Cofresí”.
- Cabo Rojo was founded in 1771 by Nicolás Ramírez de Arellano who was also Cabo Rojo’s first mayor.
- Mayor of Cabo Rojo: Hon. Roberto (Bobby) Ramírez Kurtz
- Slogan: Capital of Tourism
- Population: About 47,000 residents
- Locals are known as: Caborrojeños
- Currency: U.S. Dollars.
- Language: Spanish is the preferred language but most locals around tourist areas speak English.
- Temperature: Average of 79-82 F.
- Electric: Current is 110 volts AC, same as the United States.
- Tourism Information Office: Muñoz Rivera Street, Ruiz Rivera #43, La Campana Building Tel. (787) 255-1560
Points of Interest & Things to Do in Cabo Rojo
Beaches of Cabo Rojo
Las Salinas / The Salt Flats
Rock Bridge / Puente de Piedra
Punta Guaniquilla Nature Reserve
Watch the Sunset
Iglesia San Miguel Arcángel
Los Morrillos Lighthouse
Cabo Rojo National Wildlife Refuge
The Cliffs of Los Morrillos
Boqueron State Forest
Play Dominoes at the Plaza