The laid back side of Puerto Rico…Home of the best sunsets, seafood, surfing and serene beaches
The west coast of Puerto Rico is loved by Puerto Ricans and very popular among Americans from the mainland who love to surf. The west coast is a place to escape from the city, where you go to experience the feel of beach towns unexploited by mega resorts and hotels. There are two highly commercialised towns, Aguadilla and Mayaguez. Travelers wishing to walk on unbeaten paths will find a long list of places to explore. Most of the southwest coast is a nature reserve with various natural attractions and offshore cays for fun filled days.
While tourists are attracted to the metro area and east coast of Puerto Rico for the diverse options of hotel and resort options, the west coast of Puerto Rico attracts travelers who desire to experience a more authentic and casual island feel. Real estate is still very affordable on the west coast, many residents of the United States are buying properties and making the west coast of Puerto Rico their second home.
The west coast has an airport in Aguadilla making getting here convenient from cities on the east coast of the United States.
The beach towns of Rincon and Isabela offer wonderful beaches for surfers. The towns of Cabo Rojo and Guanica are the most popular beach towns on the southern coast with miles of beaches to enjoy under the sun. The town of Lajas is a fisherman’s village, home to La Parguera Nature Reserve where you can kayak, snorkel, scuba dive and experience the magic of the bioluminescent bay. The towns of San German and Mayaguez are two very important historic towns where you can admire Spanish Colonial architecture with various historical points of interest. The west coast is a popular religious destination attracting devout catholics.
Top Things to Do in Porta del Sol, Puerto Rico
- Beach hopping – From Isabela all the way south to Guanica, you’ll have endless days of beach hopping.
- Go deep sea fishing
- Go surfing or get surfing lessons in Rincon.
- Hike or bike the trails inside the Cabo Rojo National Wildlife Refuge.
- Kayak the channels of La Parguera Nature Reserve.
- Spend a day at La Playuela, the prettiest beach cove on the main island of Puerto Rico.
- Schedule a charter to Isla de Mona – For an off the grid adventure, book a charter to the uninhabited island of Isla de Mona. In Mona you can snorkel and scuba dive some of the healthiest coral reefs in the Caribbean, swim on deserted beaches, explore caves and camp under the starriest sky.
- Go scuba diving to the walls of Desecheo Island.
- Spend a day in Boqueron, the most beloved beach village on the west coast of the island.
- Taste the local food – Of course you’ll need to eat…and the west coast of Puerto Rico is famous for the abundance of restaurants offering something fresh from the sea everyday.
More about Porta del Sol
- Amigos Tours & Travel – San Juan: (787) 758-6533 / Rincon: (787) 826-6418