Real, unbiased insighter’s guide to help you plan the perfect vacation for YOUR travel desires…
More than a vacation, it is our goal that visitors to Puerto Rico have meaning extraordinary experiences as they connect with all the beauty found across destinations on the island and offshore. One of the most important decisions when planning a great vacation in Puerto Rico is choosing the right destination.
We speak to many travelers visiting Puerto Rico, the ones that are somewhat disappointed have one issue in common… they didn’t pick the right destination for their specific travel needs. It is our goal to help you pick the right destination for YOU and YOUR family.
We are travelers just like you, we understand the value of a hard earned and needed vacation. Unlike many other guides you’ll find online, this guide is not driven by hotel sales or sponsorships, we take pride in writing honest, unbiased guides, based on real experiences. We do not accept payments for reviews or coverage of a destination, service or hotel. We pay for our food, tours and hotel stays, keeping us objective and without obligation to write a favorable review for a service given or a specific place. Our articles get plagiarized a lot, even by the “big” ones. We travel around the island extensively, we take our own photos (with the exception of some due to model releases). Our work is fueled by our desire to share Puerto Rico and help you plan a vacation filled with extraordinary experiences you’ll cherish forever.
Destinations: Puerto Rico is divided into 78 municipalities (we’ll refer to them as towns) including the offshore islands of Vieques & Culebra. Although, many towns have their own charm and places of interest, we refer to destinations as tourist friendly places complete with hotels, restaurants, places of interest and enough activities to give visitors a wonderful vacation experience.
You can choose to come back to Puerto Rico seven times, and have a different vacation experience each time. You won’t believe you’re visiting the same island, each region and offshore island has it’s own unique characteristics and vibe. If you’re worried about a boring vacation, it won’t happen in Puerto Rico.
Language: English speaking visitors will find plenty of staff and locals at restaurants, hotels, shopping centers and tour operators to make you feel comfortable during your stay.
Best / top ten tourist destinations in Puerto Rico
Just because a destination is popular doesn’t necessarily mean is right for you. Some popular places are really great, but some destinations in Puero Rico are still considered unknown with plenty of beauty and services worthy of falling in love with. Although Puerto Rico is the most modern island in the Caribbean, the exotic laid back vibe still remains in various destinations.
See our full guide complete with can’t miss attractions and things to do of Best destinations in Puerto Rico.
San Juan, Capital City of Puerto Rico – Most Popular Vacation Destination
San Juan is the most popular vacation destination in Puerto Rico. City lovers will enjoy a vibrant nightlife, extraordinary dining, excellent hotel options from luxury to budget friendly, world class attractions and of course amazing beaches from Miami Beach style to secluded just minutes away. Within the capital city, there are various vacation destinations each with its own vibe and style. Learn more about tourist destinations and points of interest in San Juan.
Tourist Regions in Puerto Rico
When you read the term region, it may be a little confusing to you, but for travelers who know Puerto Rico well, it makes total sense, once you’re here, you’ll appreciate these guides too. The Puerto Rico Tourism Company decided to divide the island into tourist regions, it makes it much easier to explore the island due to proximity and roads. Basically if you stay at any destination within a region, you’ll have a guide to help you plan great daytrips.
- Porta Atlantico – The North Coast of Puerto Rico – The north coast of Puerto Rico, the new and upcoming tourist destination on the island, a playground for golfers and those seeking for adventure. Porta Atlantico is the home to the awe inspiring third largest cave system in the world and the largest radio telescope in the world. Explore the north coast attractions of Puerto Rico.
- Porta del Sol – The West Coast of Puerto Rico – The west coast of Puerto Rico, known for its amazing sunsets, best surfing beaches in the Caribbean, scenic bathing bays, elegant lighthouses, relaxed and casual island vibe, miles and miles of beaches, offshore secluded islands, small mangrove cays for snorkeling, long deep coral walls, the best scuba diving and exciting tarpon fishing. Explore the attractions of the west coast of Puerto Rico.
- Porta Antillas – The East Coast of Puerto Rico – The east coast of Puerto Rico, home to the enchanting rainforest of El Yunque, picturesque Blue Flag beaches, one of the few bioluminescent bays in the world, nature reserves, and the gateway to the sleepy and stunningly beautiful islands of Vieques and Culebra. Most of Puerto Rico’s resorts are on the east coast. Explore the east coast attractions of Puerto Rico.
- Porta Caribe – The South Coast of Puerto Rico – The south coast of Puerto Rico, home to the historic municipality of Ponce, a town with elegant streets with restored Spanish colonial buildings, rich history, art museums, and Caja de Muertos (Coffin Island), one of the offshore secluded islands of Puerto Rico that you can enjoy for the day. Learn more about the Porta Caribe Destination.
- Vieques & Culebra – Offshore Islands of Puerto Rico – Just a few miles off the coast of Puerto Rico, you can enjoy the sleepy gorgeous islands of Isla de Vieques & Isla de Culebra. To sailors they are known as the Spanish Virgin Islands, for decades they were a secret destination for beach lovers seeking for quiet and uncrowded scenes with untouched natural beaches with perfect snorkeling conditions and magical natural attractions. Learn more about Vieques & Culebra.
List of Tourist Destinations in Puerto Rico
- Old San Juan
- Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
- Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
- Isabela, Puerto Rico
- Isla Verde, Puerto Rico
- Culebra Island, Puerto Rico
- Dorado, Puerto Rico
- Fajardo, Puerto Rico
- Rincon, Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Keep Exploring Puerto Rico
- Home - Puerto Rico
- Best Tourist Destinations in Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico Destinations Guide
- Puerto Rico Islands
- Puerto Rico Attractions
- Puerto Rico Beaches
- Vieques Puerto Rico
- San Juan Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico Facts