The north (Porta Atlantico) has some pretty awesome beaches, but the main attractions are nestled in the karst region, both included in our “Top Ten Attractions in Puerto Rico” list.
To see all the top tourist attractions on the north side of Puerto Rico, you’ll need at least two days, but in just one day, you’ll can easily visit 4 amazing places. Following are a few suggested itineraries to help you plan your exploration of the north.
Suggested Itineary – 4 Amazing Places in one Day
This day will be wonderful, you can get back home and brag about visiting three very cool places and one of the smallest most beautiful beaches on the island.
- Camuy River Cave Park – third largest underground cave system in the world
- Arecibo Observatory – the largest radio telescope in the world. If you’re a James Bond fan, you’ll be trilled, great scene filmed here, clip below and more on page. The movie Contact also filmed here.
- Cueva del Indio – stunning natural scenery, one of the locations for the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean, Perfect Getaway, Runner Runner, Treasure Island and upcoming Alexander.
Morning: Leave your hotel early in the morning and begin your adventure at the Camuy River Cave Park. Mid morning, head to the Arecibo Observatory.
Camuy River Cave Park / Parque Las Cavernas del Rio Camuy
This is the most impressive natural wonder on the north region of Puerto Rico. If you have children, they will love the adventure as soon as they step on the trolley down to the cavern. The sounds of the bats in Batman Forever were filmed here filmed here include
Don’t miss visiting the Camuy River Cave Park, this day will be one of the highlights of your vacation in Puerto Rico.
After visiting the Camuy River Cave Park, head over to the Arecibo Obsevatory, the largest radio telescope in the world, nestled in the gorgeous karst region in the town of Arecibo.
Cueva del Indio & Seven Arches
A place so spectacular, it was one of the locations for the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean. If you want a place with a wow factor, this is a natural wonder you don’t want to miss. There are two attractions in this location, Cueva del Indio (Indian’s Cave) and Siete Arcos (Seven Arches). Cueva del Indio is an important archeological treasure, the cave contains a large number of petroglyphs drawn by Taino aboriginals that date back to the 1400’s or earlier.
Poza del Obispo
For a refreshing end to your day, visit the tiny beautiful beach of Poza del Obispo. if you don’t want to visit the beach, take the kids to the Arecibo Lighthouse Park.
More Attractions & Places to Visit on the North Coast
Guajataca Tunnel, River, Beach & Park
This place ought to get more attention, by both locals and tourists. It’s like a forgotten place…yet there’s so much beauty here and fun nature activities both adults and children can enjoy. This place is packed with a few points of interest, the historic Guajataca railroad tunnel, Playa Guajataca (beach), Rio Guajataca (river), natural infinity pool, gorgeous boulders, a walking trail, another beach at the end of the tunnel trail, and various scenic romantic spots for lovebirds.
We are updating the following attractions, please come back soon for more detailed info and updated photos.
- Arecibo Lighthouse and Historic Park
- Bosque Estatal de Cambalache (Cambalache State Forest )
- Isla de Cabras, Toa Baja
- Go shopping at Prime Outlets of Puerto Rico
Map of attractions on the North Coast
More Attractions & Places to Visit in Puerto Rico
- San Juan Top Attractions & Places to Visit
- East Coast Top Tourist Attractions
- West Coast Top Tourist Attractions
By Municipality / Points of Interest
Keep Exploring Puerto Rico
- Home - Puerto Rico
- Best Tourist Destinations in Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico Destinations Guide
- Puerto Rico Islands
- Puerto Rico Attractions
- Puerto Rico Beaches
- Vieques Puerto Rico
- San Juan Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico Facts